With Absinthe 2.0.1, you can easily perform a jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, 3rd and 4th generation iPod touch, original iPad, iPad 2 and the new iPad. It is technically impossible to while performing this jailbreak your phone permanent damage, but to ensure that the jailbreak as smoothly as possible without you losing data, you can use this jailbreak-guide for dummies.
What is a jailbreak?
Performing a jailbreak on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad (together called iDevices ) means that the security breaches which you normally only software from Apple’s App Store to download.Users who have access to their iDevice jailbreak Cydia, an alternative app store for applications and tweaks. Often these applications that do not meet the selection of Apple and tweaks that allow you to access the graphical interface of your iDevice to your own taste to adjust. A jailbreak is not the same as an unlock , which you can use an iPhone with a provider of your choice.
Performing a jailbreak and even unlock is contrary to what some people think is perfectly legal . Even Steve Wozniak , co-founder of Apple, introduced earlier live on TV a jailbreak on an iPhone. Using a jailbreak for paid applications from the App Store or Cydia Store for free download, however, contrary to the discussion about copyright and is then allowed to iPhoneclub.nl, iPadclub.nl and iCulture.nl. The jailbreak an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad can be no lasting damage them, since you always iDevice to restore the original factory settings using iTunes.
Making a backup from iTunes
It is in principle possible to directly jailbreak to perform, without having to leave your phone through iTunes first need to repair or that you even have to make a backup. Yet it is always advisable to first make a backup of your data so that it never can be lost if something does go wrong. Below, we first explain how to backup your most important data via iTunes:
- Connect your iDevice with the computer you normally sync it.
- You get first opportunity to make a backup of your photos and videos. On Windows, you could do so using the option Import pictures and videos from the Autoplay menu that will appear automatically. On Mac OS X, you could do so through iPhoto or Finder.
- Launch iTunes manually and not automatically booted.
- Press the left menu on the name of your iPhone, iPod touch or iPhone.
- Choose the top tab for info .
- Verify Sync Address Book Contacts is checked and choose which contact you want to synchronize.
- Select desired Sync iCal Calendars , Mail Accounts Sync , Sync Safari bookmarks or sync notes to.
- Check that the component Advanced nothing is checked, unless you want to replace data on your iPhone with data on the computer.
- Select the bottom right corner for Sync and wait until the sync is complete.
Update or restore to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1
To be able to perform jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with Absinthe 2.0.1 you need to have your IOS firmware in version 5.1.1.You can find out which firmware version is currently on your device is through the menu settings to go, followed by General and Information and the value of the field version control. If you are using an earlier firmware version than IOS 5.1.1, IOS 5.1.1 as long as you can the latest firmware version, this version easy to update. Users of iOS 5 can do this by accessing the menu settings to go, followed byGeneral , Software Update and choose Download and install . Versions of IOS 3 and IOS IOS 4 or 5 with jailbreak, you can update through iTunes.
The vulnerabilities where use is made for jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 can be realized with a firmware update by Apple to patch. To ensure that in future you can keep on jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 is advisable to use TinyUmbrella , to the required per unit unique signature from Apple ( ShSh blobs ) for firmware version 5.1.1 on IOS save. With this signature for iOS 5.1.1 you can use your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad because even restore to iOS 5.1.1 as it once a new firmware update is that the jailbreak impossible.
Update or restore to unlock iOS5.1.1
For users who rely on a software to unlock their iPhone unlocked to make it is important that they perform an update to iOS 5.1.1 without leaving the modem firmware (baseband) receives an update. With the jailbreak toolredsn0w is possible to have a custom firmware called to make, the name will begin with NO_BB . The modem firmware update will not occur if you perform an update to iOS 5.1.1 on an iPhone using such a custom firmware. Restore using a custom firmware is possible by the shift - (Windows) or alt / optionkey (OS X) hold while in iTunes Restore (Restore) button.
If you depend on a software unlock as ultrasn0w on an iPhone 3G or iPhone 4, then you can use redsn0w 0.9.11b1 or later create a custom firmware which you can update to iOS 5.1.1. The jailbreak will initially tethered , meaning that your iPhone with a computer, connect to it again to start. After your iPhone with the procedure as described above, you’ve restored with a custom firmware, you can install Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether via Cydia. Using this tool you can make the jailbreak still untethered . Future releases of redsn0w is expected tountether in the custom firmware process. An alternative to redsn0w for Windows users is Sn0wbreeze 2.9.4 or higher.
Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether 1.0-1 for current tethered jailbreak
Users who currently have a tethered jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 on their phones have, is not recommended to choose “Erase All Content and Settings” ( delete all content and settings). If you are using right now is a tethered jailbreak can best Rocky Racoon Untether 5.1.1 installed via Cydia. For users who are using Absinthe 2.0 directly perform an untethered jailbreak, this package will be installed automatically.
IOS 5.1.1 jailbreak 2.0.1 with Absinthe
- If you as described above have made a backup through iTunes on your iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, 3rd or 4th generation iPod touch, original iPhone, iPad 2 or new iPad and runs on IOS 5.1.1, then you almost ready to run the jailbreak 2.0.1 with Absinthe.
- If you are using a code lock on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad you must (temporarily) off before you try to perform the jailbreak. In addition, any password backups of iTunes (temporarily) disabled for the use of Absinthe 2.0.1.
- Go to the menu Settings , followed by General and Reset . In this menu to delete all content and settings . In English units, this via the menu Settings , followed by General , Reset , and Erase all Content and Settings . It is possible to skip this step, but it will perform the jailbreak last much longer and have less certainty that in one go will go well.
- Connect your device to the computer via a USB cable if it is not connected.
- Download Absinthe 2.0.1 or higher of greenpois0n.com for Linux, Mac OS X or Windows and then open Absinthe.
- Press the Jailbreak and wait patiently while the jailbreak is done, without having the USB cable. Perform some steps may take several minutes if you’re in the first step all content and settings have been cleared and much longer if you did not do it.
- If the jailbreak has been successfully executed, you can open iTunes again to restore the backups you created earlier. If you the screen below does not directly see when you click the name of your device again, you can right click on the name and select Restore form Back Up … and the most recent backup to perform the jailbreak to select. Restoring the backup will result in the example application data, settings and pictures are put back.
The use of the alternative app store Cydia
Through the Categories tab you can see an overview of the different types of apps and tweaks that you can download via Cydia. Behind the tab changes you can see the most recent additions to the range found. Behind Managing find the options Packages and Sources. Through packagesit is possible to remove software installed via Cydia. Through Sources can you add repositories by default not present. These are iphone club always explicitly mentioned when needed for a particular application or tweak. Via the tab Search for searching in Cydia software present.
If you have found an application or tweak you want to install via Cydia, select it by pressing it.Then press the top right to install followed Attach . The software will be installed. Often you get aring or or even a reboot should execute something after you have installed via Cydia. You can do this by pressing the Restart Springboard or Reboot the button appears.
Changes compared to 2.0.1 Absinthe Absinthe 2.0
Normally we do not report on iphone club of personal experiences, but in this section for completeness I’ll make an exception. After the presentations of the ‘iOS Jailbreak Dream Team “at Hack in the Box , I was allowed to accompany the team to their apartment. On my iPhone3.1 (new iPad, Wi-Fi only) I had at that time no jailbreak done and what would be a better place to implement them?
My first attempt was stabbing at the message Waiting for reboot – not done yet, do not unplug your device yet! and after several minutes patiently waiting the message does not disappear. Repeated attempts led to include the messageERROR: Could not connect to lockdowndand lockdown error -5 . Four Macbooks and a brainstorming session between pimskeks @ , @ pod2g and @ planet being turned out by Absinthe 2.0. After the necessary changes and tests @ pimskeks could the new builds of 2.0.1 Absinthe on the Site.
From the above it follows that Absinthe 2.0.1 is only intended to correct a problem whenperforming the jailbreak to remedy. If you already have a successful jailbreak from Absinthe fed with 2.0, you do the jailbreak therefore not re-run. Users who have problems with the same or similar messages encountered with version 2.0 can use version 2.0.1 to correct them. In the changelog of the bugfix Absinthe is more summary form:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
- Fixed a hang Possible That Could occur in Certain Situations